Paint Chip Challenge 2015

Five years ago I did a paint chip challenge with my sister and the QBFFs. It was so much fun I decided to do it again. As president of my quilt guild this past year I got to issue a quilting challenge to members so I went to Home Depot, picked up a bunch of paint chips and passed them out. (If you're interested, I wrote about it back in October so you can see the rules I passed out with the paint chips.) This is the paint chip that I got:
And here is what I made:
This quilt is from a pattern called Geometric Gradation that I purchased from Geta Grama, a quilter from Romania. She does the most amazing work. I have two of her other patterns I hope to get to one day.

My quilt is smaller than the original pattern because I only collected 8 blue fabrics in the right shades of blue (that pattern calls for 11 rows). This is a great quilt for snuggling on the couch, although right now it looks pretty awesome hanging on the wall.
I quilted it with white 40-wt. Aurifil thread in an all-over meander pattern. Now the trend these days is to get a little lot fancier, but there are times when the simplicity of meandering compliments the simplicity of the quilt top. And it's rather soothing and comfortable to sit down, listen to a good book (SEP's Match Me if You Can if you're curious), and let the rhythm take over. The background is Kona Snow and the blues are an assortment of batiks. It quilted like a dream.

Finally, here is an assortment of some of the other challenge quilts. The lighting was tricky, so I'm sorry some pictures aren't as good as others. I love the variety. Enjoy!






Comments

  1. Oh, Phyllis, your quilt is amazing! I find it very hard to find 8 fabrics to go into a gradation. Great idea to use a simplified pattern to accommodate the fabrics you have to hand. And I think that meandering pattern is AWESOME! Beautiful quilt, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Geta! I've received many compliments on this quilt and, really, it's largely due to the brilliance of your pattern. So thank you. And I'm glad you like my meandering :)

      Delete
  2. I love your Geometric Gradation Quilt! It is gorgeous in your blue fabrics!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, thank you very much! I really appreciate your kind words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

A personal update