Summer Quilting

Last spring I wrote that I had started numerous projects and finished none of them. I can tell you that I finished one (yes, ONE!) that I started in the spring. This easy little nine patch quilt was made out of fabrics I had on hand to be donated to a local organization that distributes quilts to foster children. They expressed a need for quilts with sports themes. I dug into my baseball fabrics and came up with this. I hope this small quilt will bring comfort to the child who receives it.

Next up is a little paper-pieced gift for a friend who recently retired and likes nothing more than to go camping out in the wilderness. Once he lived in Minnesota and frequently canoed and camped in the Boundary Waters. I actually bought this pattern years ago with him in mind. This was also made with scraps I had on hand. The finished quilt is about 18" x 15". I made in in about 2 weeks in July.

A year ago a friend of mine asked me to make a quilt for her baby granddaughter. We decided to make a rather large quilt, one that the child could use as she grew. Mom was to pick a pattern and colors. After months of indecision and nagging by my friend, Mom finally gave me some ideas and in July I picked the fabrics and my friend bought them. I started piecing it in early August and finished the whole thing last week. It took me just under 6 weeks. It measures approx. 63" x 51".

The quilting is very simple--horizontal and vertical lines to outline all of the pieces of the quilt.


While I was working on the one above, I also made this one. Yes, two quilts simultaneously. The one below took just under 4 weeks. I was nuts. Anyhow, I was invited to a baby shower and I wanted to bring a quilt. I learned that baby's room is being decorated with a nautical theme. I had two yards of this cool fish fabric and scraps of a couple of whimsical fish prints, so I put them together to make this. It's about 52" x 45".

This one is quilted with an all-over meander pattern. Fast and easy.

So, that makes 4 finished quilts, a total of 5 on the year. I still have several unfinished projects, although last night I started working on my Aviatrix Medallion some more. But between now and Christmas I have to make 2 baby quilts and a retirement gift for my boss. Most of those other projects really will have to wait. And knowing me, I'll find something else to catch my eye that I have to make RIGHT NOW. Seriously, I have a problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

TBR Day. Conor's Way / Laura Lee Guhrke. 1996