Quilt Show

I should be doing a TBR Day post. But once again.... total fail. 

So. How about some gorgeous quilts? I attended the American Quilters Society Chattanooga show on Saturday and here are a bunch of photos that I took.

First up, several quilts from a special exhibit called "Stitch Like an Egyptian." AQS is licensed to exhibit and sell artwork by the Tentmakers of Cairo. In addition to the exhibit, a member of the Tentmakers was there to demonstrate his technique. These quilts are very interesting. A design is sketched on a background fabric and the background fabric is attached to a lightweight canvas. Then the artist stitches the applique pieces into place. The artist we saw uses a large needle and stitches so quickly! I was amazed.



Here's a close-up:

Next up was a special exhibit by quilt artist Melody Johnson. Go take a look at the galleries on her website. Her exhibit here was called "All Color, All the Time." I got to hear a lecture by her some 5-6 years ago. Her work is so bright and beautiful. Note that the second picture below is a close-up of a small section of this first quilt. What a fun, interesting technique.


This one was my favorite.

A portion of the show includes quilts entered in a contest for judging. I didn't try and enter, but I think I will submit an entry next year as I plan to go back down if all goes well. This next section of pictures are just random ones that I particularly liked.



The grand prize winner was Marilyn Badger of Utah. She was there by her quilt, chatting with attendees. She makes about one quilt per year. There is piecing, applique, embroidery, and more.

There is an online group of quilters called the BadAss Quilters Society. They have over 7,000 members from all over the world.


This one cracked me up. The background quilting includes more sharks, and I couldn't help but think of Sharknado as soon as I saw it.




This a close-up from the quilt above. It appears that medical gauze was painted or hand dyed and reverse applique was used to attach the gauze to the squares. Then the squares were hand appliqued to the background. I love this quilt. Just love it.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this brief look at the quilt show. Now it's back to work on my own projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

TBR Day. Conor's Way / Laura Lee Guhrke. 1996