Variation on a Theme

The guild's UFO rules are quite liberal. We are allowed to list as UnFinished Objects quilts that haven't been started, designed, kitted, or that exist other than ephemerally -- as in "I'm going to make something." And I have one of those ephemeral ones on my list. I knew back in February I'd want to make a baby quilt for work colleague L. who is expecting her first baby in June. Now that it's May, it is time to get started.

Going in I knew L. is expecting a girl. She told me that she likes bold, bright colors. Having enjoyed the process of making the Happy Rainbow Quilt I started to wonder if I could make something similar, yet much, much simpler. And limit myself to pink and purple. Doing that would be a study in value as opposed to a study in color. And this time I did have to buy a few fat quarters of purple, because for some reason my purples are too grey-ish.

I ended up cutting 4.5 inch squares and it took awhile to come up with a combination I liked. Now I have a stack of reject squares for the scrap pile. You can see those off to the side or scattered on my ironing board. But here's the end result up on the design wall. I'm now busy sewing it together.



Oh, I should mention, the top has to be finished Wednesday night so I can wrap it up and present it at her baby shower on Thursday. I'll have to take it back to finish because I just didn't start it soon enough.

Comments

  1. This one's looking great Phyllis! I love making baby quilts. They usually come together pretty quickly and are so sweet. Your friend will love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth. This was very fun. Easy too. No pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for entering your blog in the American Quilter's Society Facebook Blog-of-the-Week contest! Keep your eyes on our Facebook page- Winner announced tomorrow at 10 am CST!

    www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

TBR Day. Deadly Descent / Kaylea Cross. 2011