Jessica suggested that today, Oct. 16, we honor what would have been the 90th birthday of Kathleen Winsor, the author of Forever Amber, a classic romance first published in 1944, that some probably consider a forerunner of the modern romance novel. (I confess that I've never read this book, although I have heard of it.) Jessica credits Maili for the idea of challenge in honor of Ms. Winsor that is for us to list our top 16 romance reads of all time.
This was not an easy thing. I'd rather list at least 25. But after some thought, these are the ones that continue to stick with me (i.e. I actually remember what they were about) or I turn to when I want to re-read something familiar.
16. Parting Gifts by Lorraine Heath
15. The Price of Desire by Jo Goodman
14. An Arranged Marriage by Jo Beverley
13. To Die For by Linda Howard
12. Heart Thief by Robin D. Owens
11. My False Heart by Liz Carlyle
10. The Temporary Wife by Mary Balogh
9. Tapestry by Karen Ranney
8. The Outsider by Penelope Williamson
7. Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
6. The Perfect Rake by Anne Gracie
5. Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale
4. Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
3. Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn
2. Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla Kelly
1. Heartless by Mary Balogh
The books above were the only ones of the 16 that I could find without tearing my closet apart. Plus I know at least 2 of them are on loan to a friend and one I own as an e-book.
Bonus picture! These are some of the ones I would have liked to have on the list. I found them while I was looking for the ones above.