"One" Leaf

Judy Niemeyer is a quilt teacher, pattern designer, fabric designer, and all-around very creative person. She and her family run a company called Quiltworx.com and I highly suggest you click on that link, go to the Products tab and select Patterns to see the wide range of exquisite quilts she has designed. Her stuff has become very popular of late. Her patterns use a unique paper piecing technique that is remarkable for the way it helps you organize all of the pieces you need to make her designs. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I took a class in November from my local quilt shop using one of their most basic patterns, called One. It is a long curved leaf sewn to a two-color background. It makes a nice table runner or a nifty wall-hanging.

Here is half of my leaf before it has been trimmed:
Here are both halves of my leaf, trimmed, but not sewn together:
Here are a bunch of leaves held by some of my classmates:
Here's my leaf, all finished and quilted:
Close-ups!


I doubt I'll ever make one of the big quilts, but I would definitely make this one again and some of her other smaller designs. It was fun and quite fast once I got my pieces organized.

This quilt is a retirement gift for my boss, the Director of the library where I work. He has been my boss for the past 26+ years and I could not have been luckier. He has been kind, encouraging, flexible, and supportive. It's going to be hard to walk back in there after the Christmas break and know he's not around anymore. Godspeed, D.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

TBR Day. Conor's Way / Laura Lee Guhrke. 1996