Pretty Purple Quilt

In my February posts about my sister, I mentioned that she gave me a ton of her stuff--fabric, tools, a machine, and lots of partially completed projects. I brought it all home, stacked in the guest room and tried to figure out where to store it all. Gradually, I organized it, re-arranged some of my own stuff, and figured out how to put it away. It was an emotional process and it took months. I didn't always get a lot of sewing done; it was hard to find the energy as I continued to get used to her being gone.

A few months before she passed away, Char handed me this particular quilt and insisted that I finish it soon. It's actually a quilt top that I made for her back in 2006. She sent me the pattern and fabric and asked me to make just the top. She was going to use it in the book she was writing. When I was finished I sent her the completed top, the pattern, and the leftover fabric. In the book, it's used to demonstrate a basting technique. So she basted the layers together, took pictures for the book, but in the years following never got around to quilting it.

When she gave it to me last fall, she said she couldn't find the pattern or leftover fabric. I wasn't able to find it either as I went through her sewing room. So I can't tell you the name of this, but it reminds me of a floor tile pattern or a garden trellis. I just think of it as the pretty purple quilt. I spent the winter quilting it and finished it in March.
 I didn't do anything fancy with the quilting, just a simple meander across the whole thing.
I keep it on my bed now. A warm, comforting reminder of Char.

Comments

  1. How lovely. I hope it brings you comfort and wonderful memories over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lori. I am sure that it will.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, that is very pretty! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

A personal update