Monday, February 9, 2009

Scents

Authors will frequently use scents and perfumes as descriptors to help shape their characters. Usually these are pretty recognizable, such as fruits or plants like lavendar. One that I saw recently was new to me, although in looking around I found out that it's really extremely common.

When I read Veiled Promises last month, we were frequently told that Matteo smelled of bergamot. I'd never heard of it before and discovered that it's a common ingredient in modern perfumes and deoderants. I was curious as to what it smells like.



Meanwhile, for Christmas I received a gift card to The Candle Lab, a small group of local stores that lets you make your own scented soy candles. On Saturday I went in to use my card and saw that bergamot was one of the available scents and decided to make a candle with that scent mixed with lavendar and english ivy. I like it. It's very strong though--tangy and sharp. I can only burn the candle for half an hour or so before it gets too strong. Anyhow, now I know what Matteo smelled like.

Oh, and here's a little work in progress that is NOT from my UFO pile. Lest I be accused of ADD and starting yet another project, in my defense let me say that this is for a friend who just had a baby 3 weeks ago. She and her husband picked out this monkey fabric. The pattern is from Maple Island Quilts, called BQ2. This picture shows the first 7 blocks I finished. I now have 12 done and 8 more to go. This will be simple. No borders. After I stitch the blocks together I'll quilt it with straight line cross hatching. Should be done by the end of the month.

2 comments:

  1. LOL about the candle! I wonder stuff like that too so congrats on figuring it out. Now, I wonder what Bulgari Green smells like 'cause that's Ranger in the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bulgari Green, huh? Not on the list at Candle Lab. I wonder what that is, too. One of these days I do finally have to read Stephanie Plum!

    ReplyDelete