Silent Run / Barbara Freethy. 2008

I find myself trying more and more romantic suspense. I think I'm spoiled by Karen Rose and her very tight, and tense books. This was my first book by Ms. Freethy and while it didn't have near the same degree of suspense, I still found this to be quite a page turner and I found it nearly impossible to put down. I ended up finishing it in less than 24 hours. The house is STILL a pigsty. Oh well.

Silent Run is the first of 2 linked books released back to back. The second book, Silent Fall is out now and I'm sure I'll be reading it before the end of the month. It's the story of Sarah, a woman on the run who, after a car accident, finds herself in the hospital with amnesia. A man named Jake shows up and it turns out that Jake is the father of her baby--who is missing. Sarah had mysteriously left Jake 7 months ealier, taking baby Caitlyn with her and Jake had been frantically searching for the 2 of them ever since. He's hurt and angry, and desperate to find his daughter. Within a short time it becomes evident that someone is trying to kill Sarah, but because of her amnesia she has no idea who or why. So there's a double mystery--who is Sarah and where is Caitlyn?

Over the course of the book we learn that Jake and Sarah had been very much in love. But apparently they hadn't really known one another very well. And that comes to light when they need to solve the mystery of Sarah's past. Slowly Sarah's life is revealled to us as her memory comes back in bits and pieces. And Jake's feelings need to be resolved after the fact that Sarah disappeared so completely with no explanation as to why.

I found Jake's conflicting feelings to be very believable and while amnesia is a plot device some people really dislike, I enjoyed the way it was used here. Sarah's had a traumatic past and recovering her memory is not easy for her. I liked both characters and thought the pacing was even and fast. Like I said, I had a hard time putting it down. Recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I have ADD

57, 3, 15

TBR Day. Deadly Descent / Kaylea Cross. 2011