I like the name, "Mister DJ," because it does remind me of the indicators on a music board. It's a very clever design.
This pattern uses two rolls of pre-cut strips. I had to separate the strips into high-volume, low-volume piles and then cut them into sets of varying lengths. The cut sections were then paired and sewn together with a small strip of the green. I wound up with 210 strips. In a pile they looked like this:
They had to be pieced together randomly, so in order to ensure that, I jumbled them up into a pile like this:
And I just grabbed and sewed, grabbed and sewed, until it looked like this:
Similarly, I grabbed the pairs randomly to build the blocks:
I put the blocks on my design wall:
And then I had a quilt top:
Here are some pictures of the quilting:
Because I was thinking of the lights on a sound board, I quilted loopy horizontal lines in the bottom, darker strips and loopy vertical lines in the upper, lighter strips. I put no quilting in the green. I quilted with two colors of Aurifil thread--gray for the upper parts, turquoise for the lower parts.
Kudos to Melissa Corry, for an imaginative and easy-to-follow pattern. I would like to make it again some time, perhaps using batiks or fall colors. The trick is finding a fabric collection with a good contrast and enough color to make parts of the quilt pop out. Of course, I have all those other things I need to finish first!
My 2014 tally is 7 finished quilts and 1 finished bag. I made 3 additional quilt tops that are waiting to be quilted (I haven't shown them here yet). Looking ahead to 2015, I want to quilt all three of those. I also want to return to working on my Aviatrix Medallion quilt and of course I have a few other things I'm anxious to start. So here's hoping for plenty of quality quilting time.